[Oz-teachers] Year 6/7 Assembly item ... help!

Simon Brodie simon at brodiescastle.com
Thu Feb 16 09:10:26 EST 2006

Michael,

My group also had the "honour" of doing the years first assembly item
last week.  At the start of each year we always have our coordinators
remind children about basic playground rules:
    * wearing hats
    * no throwing honky nuts
    * correct play areas
    * manners in canteen etc

This year my year 6 group decided to role play those rules for their
peers, they broke into groups and discussed the "rule" or behaviour
they had and came up with a 60second role play to present that
idea.  Simple and from response they got very effective, also very
little stress on my part!!

Simon

At 05:42 AM 16/02/2006, you wrote:
>Don't stress, Michael.  Have you seen an assembly yet to see what others
>do?
>
>Teach the kids a song or poem or get them to show an art activity and
>explain how it was done eg "We made colour wheels mixing primary colours
>of red, blue and yellow to make secondary colours of green, purple and
>orange."  This shows that they have learnt something and passes it on to
>others.
>
>I know that teachers stress over assembly so much, but I am now in a
>small school and each class presents an item each week and it really
>becomes a sharing of what is going on in the classroom.
>
>Lynelle Connelly
>Melrose Primary School
>Canberra

Simon Brodie
"Welcome to Brodie's Castle" http://www.brodiescastle.com
Voice: +61 8 9279 5582
Mob:0408 460 878

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe
is that it has never tried to contact us."
                 Calvin and Hobbes  (Bill Watterson)