[Oz-teachers] Speech to Text computer program

marty heysen marty.heysen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 19:02:01 EST 2008

Hi Michael,
The young lad is identified on the Autistic spectrum and it is as much about
self esteem and being able to share his work with other classmates. He sees
himself as an outsider with no friends, so being able to produce work that
others can read is important to him. If you are familiar with a set of cards
called silly sentences he is able to create readable sentences that he can
read back. These use rebus style pictures, and his knowledge of sentence
structure help to put it together, (not always sucessful).
He has a great memory for what he has said and knowledge base of things that
interest him and a great ability to draw but cannot remember words with any
consistency (lots of past phonic work hasn't appeared to help) Identifying
individual letters when copying frustrates him as he doesn't remember the
position, knowledge of the alphabet appears inconsistent.
We are investigating as many options as possible.
Cheers and thanks for the comments
Marty

--
Marty Heysen