[Oz-teachers] From the EFF- The MPAA has a really brilliant suggestion for teachers who need to copy DVDs for educational purposes: http://is.gd/xvQz

Nathan Beveridge nathan.beveridge at qut.edu.au
Fri May 15 10:11:36 EST 2009

Oh... those crazy folks at the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America... the industry association that likes to try and dictate how we use media we have legally purchased *can you tell I am not a fan?*) have come out with this gem relating teachers using DVDs for educational purposes...

MPAA to teachers: don't rip DVDs, just record your television with a camcorder

"The Electronic Frontier Foundation's Fred von Lohmann says, "Hearings for the DMCA triennial rulemaking are going on this week in DC, where the educational community is asking for an exemption to rip DVDs to take clips for classroom use. The MPAA responded with a video showing how to camcord (!) movies from a flat screen monitor, arguing that educators and students should do this instead of ripping DVDs. In the words of media literacy researcher Martine Courant Rife, that's like typing up a quote from a book, taking it outside, chiselling the words in a rock, photographing the rock, scanning the photo, and running OCR on it. And for what?"

Saw this one a tweet from the Electronic Frontiers Foundation http://twitter.com/EFF hopefully its sillyness will give you a laugh rather than make you scream with frustration at the MPAA. :)

-Nathan B