[Oz-teachers] off topic alert .. Telstra etc

Bruce Fuda bruce.fuda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 07:08:06 EST 2009

Uh oh... look what you've started Stephen... :p

<offtopic rant>

I'd argue that deregulation itself has not been the problem - its the way
deregulation has taken place that was the issue. The establishment of a
market-driven economy was instrumental in the global recovery in the
70s/80s, but at that time the environmental aspects of how those markets
would fail had not been considered. Deregulation is not about establishing
markets that fail - its about establishing market mechanisms that ensure
externalities and causes of failure are internalised to those markets, which
requires an element of regulation/correction to achieve this. Our problem is
that the issues we're well aware of today were unknown at the time.

Our biggest problem right now is that the issues are known to us but the
perceived rights of the individual/big business that are inherent in our
modern society are ultimately what leads to votes and the gaining of power
in our political system. The fact that we are currently considering an
ineffective carbon-trading scheme, and that the only way we are likely to
get it passed is to reduce its effectiveness even further, is a joke. Too
many people in our country are concerned more about the effect of increased
costs (which would only be short-term, by the way) on their hip pocket (and
on their over-extended credit/mortgages) than they are about the long-term
benefits. This requires cultural change - something that isn't going to
happen quickly and will only work if we can educate the masses
appropriately.

It is unfortunate that so many people, educators included, (and I'm not
suggesting anyone on this list falls into that category) won't engage with
some of these issues more thoroughly so that we can better prepare our
students for an uncertain future. They ultimately will inherit whatever we
leave them and will need to make smart solutions for both their businesses
and for the sustainability or regeneration of our environment - we cannot
allow them to be unprepared and willing to accept unwise counsel because
they were never taught the importance of engaging with all sides of a
discussion. Some classrooms I've been in are clearly pushing a single
opinion/ideology, and that only comes unstuck down the track when a counter
argument is raised that is convincing enough.

</offtopic rant>

Bruce

--
Bruce Fuda