[Oz-teachers] Fwd: The weaknesses of email discussion lists

Margaret Lloyd mm.lloyd at qut.edu.au
Sun Nov 29 06:47:40 EST 2009

Oops - incomplete message sent due to the intervention of my new
boisterous dog! The failure of email lists is proven - contributions
from the iPhone while walking the dog are bound to lack academic
rigour and profound thought! Hmmm.

I was about to say - I think such academic lists don't work because
people join them to learn rather than give. They are in there to gain
rather than share expertise. This is genuine enough but means that
little of what is initiated can be sustained. I am on all sorts of
such lists through my academic work - they start with a flurry of
introductions, often following a conference or other meeting. And then
they just go quiet. Very quiet.

Anyway, we have to walk home now!!!
Cheers
Marg Lloyd