[Oz-teachers] ICT Projects

King, Leeanne M king.leeanne.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Aug 29 09:57:33 EST 2010

Thanks Chris, Deb, Brendan and others for your replies about ideas for ICT projects!

I'm in the very fortunate position of being able to design my own role for 2011. It is a little strange in some respects, knowing that I have the freedom to do what i want to do. I am really keen to hear what other people are doing as there are some fabulous teachers doing great things with ICT all over Australia.

Our school has 700 students and I work 4 days a week. I have been teaching classes in a Lab setting but this will change. I will have the equivalent of one day coaching/mentoring staff, one day working with classes, one day admin and one day working with smaller groups of kids on activities such as Cybersafety, programming (Gamemaker, Kodu, Scratch), CAP Maths Challenge etc.

On the day I am working with classes, I will be working on ICT based projects such as Claymation, Robotics and Digital Stories. It is a very exciting time for me personally and I am really looking forward to having the flexibility of 'flying' with the kids. Our Claymation project is now in its 2nd year - we have been very fortunate to have Adam Elliot on board and he has been terrific - a real mentor for our Year 6's. The digital story program has also been very successful with our Level 3 kids.

I'm not quite sure what i will do with the Preps and Year 1's and 2's yet. The NSW CAP Program is amazing. I would like to become involved in their JuJu project - hopefully 'Southerners' will be able to participate.

The time i will have working with classes will be somewhat limited so I need to get the class teachers well and truly on board. I have finally had success with all of our prep teachers creating and regularly using class blogs. They are doing a great job. It has taken 2 years to get them to this point. The Ultranet has helped because teachers are now realising that they must get on board the technology train.

Thanks again,

Lee King
ICT Coordinator
Mt Waverley Primary School