[Oz-teachers] Blog site that allows for multiple authors?

Chris Betcher chris at betcher.org
Mon Mar 8 09:15:56 EST 2010

Paul,

I think a blog would suit your purposes better than a wiki, although both
would work.

A wiki requires more work to keep organised (although it does give you a
more freeform approach to the site's design)  With a wiki you can structure
the pages, and the links between pages, any way you like. That's a blessing
and a curse, since it takes more thought and work to keep things organised.

A blog does all of that "heavy lifting" for you.  It uses the blog engine to
manage the structure of the site and so once the contributors write new
content, the blog figures out how to fit it into the overall flow of the
site's information stream.  A blod engine like Wordpress (which powers
Edublogs, Globalteacher, etc) also allows a great deal of customisation, the
ability to add static pages, plugins for adding extra features, etc).  You
can use categories and tags to provide an additional layer of navigation, so
that all the contributions on a particular topic (say) can be easily found.
With a bit of creativity and the right theme I'm sure you can set the blog
up to meet your needs very well.

The real strength of a blog is to have multiple editors (what you were
actually after in the first place) and each has a separate login, so
contributions are posted under their own names.  Wordpress would work really
well, but Blogger less so.  Blogger allows multiple contributors, but you
get far less choice with themes and plugins.  Wordpress (IMO) really has
emerged as the gold standard for blogging.

Hope that helps..

Chris