[Oz-teachers] [S] Re: Games to enhance teaching

Benjamin, Thomas THOMAS.BENJAMIN at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 24 12:16:05 EST 2010

OK. I think I get it (complex). These Learning Objects are what I'd like
to see become a do-it-yourself thing where possible. The idea is that
teachers get a general-game-development concept then apply it to areas
that need to be livened up. It could also be that they embed the
existing developed 'Learning Object' into their meta-game and just
create some d-i-y elements  as 'front-/rear-ends' to make it either more
engaging or spell it out more or supplement it and follow on from it. A
'front end' might be a news announcement ... "Scientists announce that
...". A good 30 second hook usually starts an adventure in a game or in
real life.

I need to find a place to put up my ideas so I can reference them with
quick links, refer to my web pages etc. rather than working from scratch
each time. I need feedback as to where to host these and in what form.
For example, I can put stuff up on EduBlog. At the moment I have things
on our internal TaLe but no easy way to promote interest. I also need a
structure to make it easy for teachers to find, think about and apply it
(assuming they like it).

At the moment, the sheer volume makes my stuff look disjointed. I'm
trying to simplify the movie-making element with demo's so students
could look at it and say "Hey Miss, we could do better than that ..." or
"Can we try ...?" and the teacher would understand its purpose and that
I'm not trying to make more work for them but, rather, use digital means
to do things quicker.

So my music and movie demo's are supposed to show what might be done
with the technology, rather than what an individual teacher would do to
apply to their subject. I use familiar Hollywood epic's for
demonstration purposes, not with the intent you'd use those particular
examples -ie- you may not need Ben Hur to illustrate a maths concept.
However, I might use Ben Hur to demonstrate lighting or script or
something.

Tom