[Oz-teachers] 3D Printing: The Next Industrial Revolution? (Adelaide)

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Feb 5 08:27:47 EST 2012

On 01/02/12 17:14, Paul Floyd wrote:
> My jaw literally dropped when they got to the bit where they mentioned
> that you could print metal objects  ...

Stephen Barrass from University of Canberra gave a spellbinding talk
about "Physical Sonification Dataforms" at ANU last year. He played us
metal bells which he had made from waveform data with a 3D printer. What
amazed me was that rather than flimsy bits of plastic, these were solid
metal, which looked like it had been cast by an artisan, by hand, a
hundred years ago:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/11/making-sound-data-into-3d-printed.html

On 1/02/12 5:46 PM, Cameron Bell wrote:

> If the 3D printers start printing 3D printers that start printing quadrocopters[1] with guns[2] you won't get far ...

Last week I attended the Pacific 2012 Maritime Defence Conference in
Sydney, where there are lots of robot aircraft, ships and submarines,
which look like something out of sci-fi. 3D printing is commonly used
for the prototype parts: http://blog.tomw.net.au/search/label/Pacific%202012

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/